WA State Lead Titles 2018
It was a pretty big weekend for us at City Summit with the very first WA State Lead Titles being held at the centre on Saturday. Never before have we had a state title climbing competition in Western Australia and there was amazing talent on display as our local climbers placed themselves with an official WA ranking.
A huge congratulations to all the climbers who competed. We would also like to make a special mention of our City Summit climbers, especially superstar Jordyn Damasco who won Open A Female but is too young to hold the state title, Josh Damasco who won Open A Male division, Scotty Nicholson who won Open B Male and Lee Some who came second in Open B Female in her very first competition.
The day was a huge success and we couldn’t have done it without the help of our partners, sponsors and volunteers. A huge thanks to;
- Sport Climbing Western Australia (SCWA) – your organisation is only one year old but your impact in the climbing community has been huge. Thanks for your huge support in the lead up to and on the day. We could not have done it without you.
- Special thanks to Mercedes Yanev, Brianne Smith, Jason Liew and James Damasco for donating so much of your time to make the event a success.
- Sport Climbing Australia (SCA) – it was an honour to have SCA Director Romain Thevenot here to help officiate and sanction the event as a state title. Romain helped us set and test till the wee hours before comp day. He also found the time to assess Sam Dickson as Jury President and Jordan Grey as Head Route Setter.
- Sea to Summit – official partner of SCWA. Thank you for the incredible prizes you provided for all the climbing categories.
- Scarpa (through Outdoor Agencies) – thanks you for your support for the WA State Youth team; providing shoes to raffle for prizes on the day.
- Climb ICP & Artline Holds – thank you for the set of holds you supplied to use for the competition.
- Cliffbar – competitors were totally fuelled on the day thanks to the many bars you supplied for them.
- Shahid Chew – official competition Photographer. Thank you for all the amazing images and the extra help setting and cleaning up the place in the lead up.
- Route Setting Crew
- Jordan Grey, Romain Thevenot, Damien Hall, Nigel Ray, Dave Barretto, Mitch Day, Mike Borg Costanzi, Elliot Vercoe, Shahid Chew.
- Organisation Committee
- Same Dickson (Jury President), Jason Liew (Head Judge), Hannah Richardson (Belay Coordinator), Mercedes Yanev, James Damasco, Brianne Smith, Jordan Grey, Simone Tan
- Summit Cafe – thanks to Emma Hall for providing all the delicious food on the day and to Claire Jay and Ashleigh Kinsella for doing an amazing job keeping the masses fed and caffeinated.
- And finally a huge thanks again to all volunteers, judges, belayers and isolation stewards.
Competition routes will stay up for the next month so make sure you come to City Summit and try them out!